When setting up the main entertainment system in a home, it’s important to take a number of factors into account. For example, will the room serve more as a meeting place for the guys on game night, or a quiet spot for the family to watch movies together? Each of these choices will lead the homeowner down different paths. The same goes for the key components of the room: the couches, the stereo, the television, and the stands that house the electronic equipment. Each can have a dramatic effect on a room and should be considered as an integral part of the decision-making process.
Therefore, it would be unwise to overlook one of these elements as a home’s design is being completed. While style and space will influence many decisions, there are some features which any quality product will have. With flat screen television sets, quality of picture and flexibility of the actual component will always rule. With stereo equipment, the clarity of sound and size of the device are essential. TV stands are no different. There is no use settling on a TV stand for the home unless it has the features of a high quality product. Look for these six key factors.
1. Durability. The good news about television sets – and most electronic equipment in general – is they are getting lighter by the year. Therefore, while setting up the main console of an entertainment room, one does not have to worry much about stands being able to support future televisions and media players you may buy, should it be time for new components. Nonetheless, the TV stand material should have an innate durability which will resist damage as the years go by. An investment of this kind should not be a temporary fix. Steel remains one of the best materials for TV stands. If opting for wood, make sure that the type of coating will allow for basic contact and natural shifts which will occur as time goes by. Hardened glass shelves will also create a pleasing look while providing a sturdy base.
2. Flexibility. The difficult part about designing a home entertainment system is reading into the future. Will the TV stand be expected to house new devices as the years go by, or can the general outline be expected to stay the same? With a stand which is unlikely to see new components, simply look to the maximum weights allowed at every point. Even if a new television might appear on the radar, the stand shouldn’t have to change along with it. The same goes for the different shelves on the stand. If a bigger and better design is planned for the future, opt for a TV stand which can adapt to new purchases. In some stands, the option to add as many as three extra shelves gives added flexibility. Either way, be confident that the TV stand will adapt to the times before purchasing it.
3. High style. TV stands have come a long way since the clunky models of yore. Whether or not one is enamored with the sleek minimalist design of many stands nowadays, there is a lot to be said for understatement. Black oak wood stands can strike the perfect balance between classic design and modern finish. For a sleeker look, opt for a stand which has no box shelving whatsoever, creating the impression that the electronics pieces are virtually floating in mid-air. Any modern design will welcome a stand like this. The same can be said for stands using piano black glass shelving, which hide unsightly wiring at the same time.
4. Ability to handle feedback from the equipment. For anyone who has had the displeasure of noticing noise coming from a TV stand itself, this factor cannot be overstated. A high quality stand should be impervious to the vibrations being sent out from the electronic equipment. To know what to expect from a stand, examine the sound standards and see whether the model in question is toughened to handle that level of vibrations. Whether it’s the bass of a particular song or the sound effect from a film, the stand should not be standing in the way of audio perfection.
5. Ease of use. In the case of a TV stand which is expected to remain as it is for the duration of its life, this feature will not come into play. However, if a stand was purchased for its ability to adapt to the owner’s needs and implement new shelving, the practical handling concerns will apply. TV stands with a superior design should be easy to handle even if an adjustment is necessary. One of the hallmarks of a brilliant design is this effortless ability to adapt. Check on an item’s reputation by reading customer reviews which mention this process of implementing extra shelves and see if the final tests were passed as well.
6. Overall architecture and use of space. As with all structures, a quality TV stand will achieve all of its goals while using the least amount of space. The best stands are designed to be a key point of interest in the room without overwhelming it. After all, there is more to a home than its entertainment center. Look for a TV stand that has been designed to mask the complex wiring systems that are a part of all electronics equipment. The unsightliness of heaps of wiring can never be ignored. On the other hand, if a TV stand will be one of the key features of the room, the design and shape will be even more important. Look for the piece that will stand out and not appear out of place in the room.
Once the decision is made and the TV stand is set up in the home, the gatherings can begin in style. With a little bit of research and careful planning, a home entertainment center can be the source of many enjoyable nights in the home. As the TV stand will be staring back at the audience throughout many of these nights, there is no reason to compromise on quality.